HOW PREGNANCY CAN AFFECT YOUR FEET.
Relaxin, a hormone which causes soft tissue (ligaments, tendons, muscle etc.) to loosen, is released throughout pregnancy in preparation for labour at the end of the pregnancy term.
As a result of this, not only do the soft tissue around the pelvic region loosen, but other areas of the body such as the feet.
With the increase in loading weight on the feet, an increase in swelling around the foot and ankle in some pregnancies, as well as the increase in Relaxin, the feet during pregnancy take a lot of stress.
A few things which can occur in the feet during pregnancy are:
- Ingrown toenails
- Flat feet
- Foot and/or ankle pain
- Instability or feeling unbalanced
- Swelling in the feet
- Increased in shoe size
What can Podiatrists do?
- Treat and manage ingrowing toenails.
- Provide an assessment and treatment plan for any arising pain or issues relating to the foot and ankle.
- Assess and provide advice on appropriate footwear.
- Provide and recommend appropriate strengthening exercises for the feet and ankle.