Pain in the foot and ankle can be caused by different conditions that affect the area’s bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints. The pain may vary from slight discomfort to intense and debilitating pain that hinders daily activities. Since our feet and ankles support the weight of our whole body and are vital for movement, even minor discomfort can significantly impact our quality of life.
Common Causes of Foot and Ankle Pain
- Sprains and Strains. Overstretching or tearing the ligaments or tendons can cause acute pain.
- Plantar Fasciitis. This condition affects the bottom of the foot and is common among runners and those who stand for long periods.
- Achilles Tendonitis. Inflammation or degeneration of the Achilles tendon, usually due to overuse or aging.
- Arthritis. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout can affect the feet and ankles.
- Neuromas. A benign growth of nerve tissue frequently found between the third and fourth toes.
- Bunions. A bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe.
Foot and Ankle Pain Diagnosis
Diagnosis typically includes –
- A detailed medical history
- A physical examination
- Imaging tests like X-rays or MRIs to identify the underlying issue causing the pain.
Foot and Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment depends on the underlying cause but may include:
- Rest, ice, compression, and elevation (the RICE protocol)
- Over-the-counter or prescription pain medication
- Physical therapy or exercises
- Custom orthotics
- Corticosteroid injections
- Surgical interventions in severe cases
For foot and ankle pain, consult your podiatrist for an accurate diagnosis and a tailored treatment plan. If you’re located in Morley and near Bayswater, Galleria Podiatry provides specialised care for foot and ankle issues for all patients in the City of Bayswater.
Our Gap-Free Offer
To help you out we’ve created a GAP-FREE* LOWER LIMB ASSESSMENT!
Your risk-free, no obligation Lower Limb Assessment includes:
JOINT, MUSCLE & POSTURAL ASSESSMENTto discover the cause of your lower limb pain. (Valued at $108)
BASIC ON-THE-DAY TREATMENTto get you started on your journey to being pain free. (Valued at $89)
TREATMENT PLANcustomised just for you. (Valued at $89)
Normally Valued At $286 But Get It For FREE Today if you have Private Health Insurance
with podiatry cover. No Insurance? No Problem, Pay just $69.
NOTE: DIGITAL HEALTH INSURANCE CARDS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CLAIM ON-SITE so please bring your ‘physical’ card with you.