What is a Bunion?
Bunion refers to a prominence of bone on the inside margin of the forefoot. It involves a displacement of the 1st metatarsal bone towards the midline of the body, coupled with a displacement of the great toe away from the bodyline of the body.
There are different stages of the deformity depending on the level of severity. Arthritis can also develop, producing pain within the joint.
- Women are more prone to bunions than men.
- Wearing tight, narrow or high-heeled shoes can greatly accelerate the formation of a bunion.
- Middle-aged to older people are more likely to suffer from bunions, although bunions can also affect children and young people.
- Inflammation, pain around the big toe.
- Redness and discomfort when wearing shoes.
- Calluses and/or corns on the outside of the big toe, between the big toe and the second toe or under the ball of the foot.
- Over-lapping toes.
- Poor foot function (biomechanics).
- Family history of bunions.
- Poor or tight footwear.
- Arthritic conditions.
- Trauma or previous surgery around the big toe.
Treatment varies depending on the severity of pain and deformity. Treatment may include.
- Padding to protect the bony prominence from shoe irritation.
- Wearing correctly fitting footwear.
- Callus and corn management through conservative podiatric treatment.
- Medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs or cortisone injections to ease pain and inflammation.
- Correction of poor foot biomechanics through orthotics (custom-made shoe inserts). These re-align to the foot and assist in stabilising the joint. This treatment can be very effective in halting or slowing bunion development.
Getting through the day can be a nightmare when your feet are sore! At, Galleria Podiatry, we can provide bunion treatment to patients near Morley and Bayswater. Book your appointment with Galleria Podiatry today!
Are things like wearing your favourite shoes, walking the dogs, working out at the gym or just spending quality time with your family all suddenly becoming a challenge? No one wants to suffer from sore feet, right?
We know. And we totally understand. Did you know that if left untreated, bunions and other bone conditions often become more serious? Knee, hip or lower back issues can often follow making treatment longer and much more expensive. Sometimes, the effects are even irreversible! Each of your feet has 26 bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 tendons, muscles, and ligaments. So there’s little wonder a lot of things can go wrong.
Our Gap-Free Offer
To help you out we’ve created a GAP-FREE* LOWER LIMB ASSESSMENT!
Your risk-free, no obligation Lower Limb Assessment includes:
JOINT, MUSCLE & POSTURAL ASSESSMENTto discover the cause of your lower limb pain. (Valued at $108)
BASIC ON-THE-DAY TREATMENTto get you started on your journey to being pain free. (Valued at $89)
TREATMENT PLANcustomised just for you. (Valued at $89)
Normally Valued At $286 But Get It For FREE Today if you have Private Health Insurance
with podiatry cover. No Insurance? No Problem, Pay just $69.
NOTE: DIGITAL HEALTH INSURANCE CARDS WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CLAIM ON-SITE so please bring your ‘physical’ card with you.